published on in News

James McCaffrey Actor James McCaffrey of Max Payne passes away at age 65

“One of Dick Wolf’s apprentices, McCaffrey enjoyed a prosperous 35-year career in both cinema and television.

Having received training at the actor’s studio, McCaffery never lost his passion for developing characters. Nevertheless, his attractiveness frequently drove him to lead the main parts.

As Johnny “Drama” Chase in the HBO comedy series Entourage, Kevin Dillon was the first to write on Instagram about McCaffrey’s passing, stating: “James McCaffrey we were lucky to have known you. my best friend you will be missed 🙏🏼”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Kevin Dillon (@kevindillonofficial)

James’ career in hindsight and the response from other industry icons 

In addition to portraying Max Payne in the three Remedy game series, McCaffrey also had parts in Alan Wake and Control.

McCaffrey most recently provided the voice of Alex Casey in Alan Wake 2, a character whose physical attributes were inspired by Sam Lake from Remedy.

“We are deeply saddened to hear about the passing of our beloved friend and collaborator, James McCaffrey, the iconic voice of Max Payne and Alex Casey. His remarkable talent gave life to our characters and left an enduring impact on our community. Our hearts go out to his family,” tweeted Remedy.

We are deeply saddened to hear about the passing of our beloved friend and collaborator James McCaffrey, the iconic voice of Max Payne and Alex Casey. His remarkable talent gave life to our characters and left an enduring impact on our community. Our hearts go out to his family. pic.twitter.com/GEJL7aXyNt

— Remedy Entertainment (@remedygames) December 18, 2023

Sam Lake of Remedy declared himself heartbroken. “I’m heartbroken to hear the sad news of James McCaffrey’s passing. We worked together for more than 25 years. He was a lovely man and a dear friend. He was a key part of the Remedy family. He was a brilliant actor. No one could do what he did better than him. (1/2)

James was Max Payne, Thomas Zane, Zachariah Trench, and finally Alex Casey. I had the honour of sharing Max Payne’s role and Casey’s role with him. He was a joy to work with. I will cherish his memory and I miss him. My deepest condolences to his family. Rest in peace, Jim (2/2)”

I’m heartbroken to hear the sad news of James McCaffrey’s passing. We worked together for more than 25 years. He was a lovely man and a dear friend. He was a key part of the Remedy family. He was a brilliant actor. No one could do what he did better than him. (1/2) pic.twitter.com/JLcEIMUT43

— Sam Lake (@SamLakeRMD) December 18, 2023

The Max Payne series publisher, Rockstar Games, also released a statement that said, “Rest in Peace James McCaffrey, the inimitable and commanding presence who brought Max Payne to life.”

Rest in Peace James McCaffrey, the inimitable and commanding presence who brought Max Payne to life. pic.twitter.com/06oQXb3J4v

— Rockstar Games (@RockstarGames) December 18, 2023

Along with having a diverse TV and movie career, McCaffrey starred in Rescue Me as Jimmy Keefe. Tiernan, his daughter, and his wife, Rochelle Bostrom, survive McCaffrey.

Conclusion

We are very saddened to learn of James McCaffrey’s demise at the age of 65. He was a great actor, most recognised for his parts in video games like Alan Wake and TV series like Max Payne. He heroically battled bone marrow cancer before dying quietly in the company of his loved ones.

For all of us, he brought Max Payne and other characters to life with his talent and love for acting. Friends’ and followers’ tributes demonstrate how adored and revered he was.

Even though James McCaffrey is no longer with us, his amazing work will live on in the entertainment industry and our hearts forever. We will sincerely miss him.

ncG1vNJzZmiolZq9tMPIs2Wcp51kuaLAxKyrZqCfqXyrrcyeqmalk5iup7LRnrBmmZOpvLN5yZqknqtdorCkrcWfqZ6xXaSzbrnAsWSpmamjsm68wKyqnqtdlsSixYyaq2aZl5p6d4GO